Friday, March 25, 2016

99 1/2

Last week I visited a church that Deaconess Larson, a neighbor, invited me to. It was one of those house churches; you know the kind of church people start in their homes when they get pissed off at their Pastor.
So, I go there my first impression was positive. The chairs were comfortable there was a designated area for the pulpit. I saw a very large drum set, key board, big speakers and three microphones. I wanted to like this church, after all the I had known Hallie for many many years.
My problem going in was: I have a mental block when it comes to traditional black churches! I’m sorry, that came out wrong. What I should have said was:I am not fond of churches in which there is a lot of noise, songs that were meant to be sung in 5 minutes  being extended to fifteen minutes because the soloist must take deep breaths and sing “Jesus” until he or she has no more breath in every note: “Jeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aus!”  “Jeeeeeeeeeee-zus!” (I think I heard my Savior say: What in the world do you want?!) But that was OK at least you could understand the words despite the loud drum and the singers were all in the right key.
Maybe they do this in other churches but, the black churches I visit have a message problem (strictly my opinion). Some preachers, in traditional churches, take two words out of the Bible (not necessarily in context) and preach an hour and a half without backing their words up with Scripture references.  This Pastor actually used the entire Bible verse, kudos for him. I think there was more shouting in that church / living room than there was preaching, which is why I do not do traditional Black people churches. I do not like all the unnecessary hollering.
Nevertheless, the music did remind me of when I was a child- happy thoughts. Far be it from me to waste a Sunday morning I did glean a message out of the sermon; if you ignore the words that do not agree with Scripture and you know what the Bible really says anyone can make a message out of a mess. However, when they asked me if I was interested in being a member: I respectfully declined. I could not join a church when not only did the Pastor confess his illnesses from the pulpit but the other members followed suit.
After the worship  and before the Pastor  preached their was an invitation for people to give testimonies (emphasis on the moan!). For about twenty minutes I heard about how sick various people were. Aas the Pastor began his message he let everyone know he was going to preach despite the pain in his back. After he finished preaching he said he had to go because he was in excruciating pain.  Talk about a spirit of infirmity.

Why would anyone want to join a church with all of those sick folks??? And they have the audacity to have healing prayer service before the official service begins. SMH! Shaking My Head for sure!!

Jesus healed us over a thousand years ago. I know that with some, myself included, the manifestation of our healing is not instant never-the-less I am healed and its’ manifestation did come.  God is a one hundred percent God not a ninety-nine and one half percent God. When the Bible says Jesus endured 39 stripes so that you would be healed it meant just that: you are healed from the top of your head to the souls of your feet.

Deaconess Larson invited me to her church again and I respectfully declined.


And that is the world according to NETTIE xxx Short Stories and essays by Marsha L F Randolph