Monday, April 18, 2016

FRONT PORCH STORIES: MY COFFEE CUP

Three or four months ago I chipped my coffee mug. For those who cannot appreciate the pleasure in a fresh cup of coffee in the morning that statement is not a big deal. Though I am not a coffee connoisseur with a latte machine and various additives, I do have my morning routine which includes  a hot cup of coffee in my special coffee mug. This mug was the right size, weight and color so despite the chip I kept using it.
The chip in the mug was very close to where I put my lips in order to drink thus I had to reposition the way I held the cup so as not to spill coffee on myself.
Morning routines are habits that are difficult to change. Even the smallest break in activities can throw a person off schedule. In the morning I prepare myself a glass of orange juice to drink while I wait for the coffee to brew. I read my Bible and talk to God while I drink my coffee. I have learned to talk to my family members who call early before beginning my Bible study. My day begins when the Scriptures have been read and the coffee has been drunk.
Unfortunately, I kept forgetting that my mug was chipped! It is aggravating to have to keep wiping hot coffee off of your clothing.  Thus I began the search for a new mug.
To be honest I have two mugs: one for tea and one for coffee. I tried using my tea mug for coffee but it is not the same.
I recently purchased my husband a coffee cup because he kept using mine, a no-no! I got it from the dollar store. It is a good sized mug and a great weight but it is shiny- I don’t want a shiny mug. My broken mug I had purchased from the Publix grocery store, I went back to Publix but did not like their selection.  I found a mug at TJ Maxx, I wasn’t fond of it but it was cute.
I have been drinking out of this mug for a few weeks now and as much as I try to like it I don’t. I think it is going to be a back-up coffee cup but I must continue my search. As for they old coffee cup, it has joined the ranks of pencil holders on my desk.

And that is the world according to NETTIE xxx Short Stories and essays and other ramblings by Marsha L F Randolph