Sunday, May 29, 2016

A MATTER OF FAITH: MEETING GOD



I was a child when I was first introduced to God, somehow I knew that He was a powerful man and that I must honor Him but that is all I knew. Years of Sunday School taught me that Jesus was God’s Son and I must believe that He, Jesus, was born of a virgin died on Good Friday and rose from the dead on Easter Sunday early in the morning. There was mention of the Holy Ghost but no one really explained to me who He was or why He existed until I was much older (and left the denominational church).
Moses was told about God as a child but he was raised in the home of Pharaoh as the adopted child of Pharaoh’s daughter. Thus, Moses was raised knowing about the gods of his adoptive mother. After killing a man and fleeing to Midian, he became a shepherd tending to his father-in-laws,’ the priest of Midian, flock.  As an adult Moses met God. (Exodus 3)

“”Moreover, He said, I am the God of your father- the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God.” Exodus 3:9 NKJV

I had an encounter with God just as powerful as the one Moses had. He presented Himself as a non-consuming yet intense heat; it was a life changing experience.

I believe there is a difference. There is a difference in accepting the truth of what people tell you and having a personal encounter with God. I believe every person on this earth can have their own personal encounter with God not as Moses did or as I did but according to their need and purpose.

Those who have a personal relationship with God the Father through Jesus live life differently than those who are religious. Abram had an encounter with God and became Abraham (Genesis 17:5) and Sarai became Sarah (Genesis 17:15);  Jacob had an encounter with God and became Israel (Genesis 32:28).  It is an understatement to say that a personal encounter with God is life changing and destiny fulfilling.
No one knows more than the Apostle Paul who, is also referred to as Saul, traveled the country persecuting, condemning, followers of Jesus. And then on his way to Damascus Saul had an encounter with Jesus.  (Acts 9:1-9)

I believe Moses encountered God the Spirit, the Holy Spirit, as Paul did after his encounter with Jesus. (Note: After Sauls’ encounter with Jesus he was blinded and had to be led into the city.)

“Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord - Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here - has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit. : Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized, and after taking some food, he rgained his strength.”  Acts 9:17-18 NKJV

Though there are a few people who have had personal encounters with Jesus most of us will, like Moses, encounter the Holy Spirit. Unfortunately, many churches do not teach than manifestation of the Holy Spirit and discourage the speaking in a heavenly language. Not teaching the fullness of the Trinity restricts the relationship a person has with God.

Moses was by himself on a mountain when he encountered the Holy Spirit. I was in a car by myself when I encountered the Holy Spirit. Many people have testified that they were alone, in a room, or sleeping (no outside influences0 when they encountered the Spirit of the Living God.  I have yet to meet anyone who SINCERELY wanted to meet God who did not meet Him.

Do you want a personal relationship with God? Ask and He will come.  My encounter with God was not as complicated as some religious folks make it out to be. No one prayed over me, no one laid hands on me; I just sought Him with all of my heart and soul and He came.

“Seek, the Lord while He may be found. Call upon Him while He is near.”  Isaiah 55:6 NKJV

And that is the world according to NETTIE xxx Short Stories and essays and other ramblings by Marsha L F Randolph; All rights reserved do not use without the permission of the author Marsha L F Randolph