Saturday, June 25, 2016

HYBRID-PREPPER: WHAT IS SHTF????



I consider myself at the beginning stages of being a Prepper, but I am not sure I want to go to go full throttle Prepper (bug-out places etcetera).
   A Prepper: is someone who is ready for emergencies of all sorts.
  A Hybrid: the merger of two or more ideologies.
As a Hybrid-Prepper I want to live as a prepping  homesteader though homesteaders do prep. Since I don't live on a homestead I consider myself a Hybrid-Prepper.

I don’t believe I could consider myself a Prepper in the purest of terms because I have yet to save any type of water, food or money. I live in the city and I have yet to purchase my first chicken and I have yet to successfully grow a vegetable. Furthermore:

  • My husband is not a Prepper, though he has some homesteader qualities
  • I believe  Biblical preparation is just as important as  stock piling food

Fro now  I am going to be prepared and I will take full advantage of the numerous veteran Preppers out there. I want to be ready every time there is an emergency and when stuff really hits the fan!


After a hurricane there is often no electricity and the water is not safe to drink; stores are closed and cable does not work. Without electricity gas stations are shut down and cell phones are used sparingly to reserve batteries. Communication with individuals outside of your community, may not be possible. Financially, there could be the added cost of living in a hotel until such time as it is safe to return home.

My goal is to leave the city and move to the country within the next 4 years. Though there are many Preppers who live in the city I believe the best place to be is away from the general population. Canned goods, water, flashlights, candles, and emergency cash are things that I need to accumulate monthly no matter where I live.

I believe the biggest threat to people is the government. There ability to pick and choose what a person can and cannot do regardless of faith is disconcerting. Consider the judgments against Christians here in the United States recently. Whereas, many people expect the government to help them in times of crisis I believe there will some day be strings attached to that assistance.

I did not know what the Bible said about prepping because I had never looked or even thought about what I had already read.  Noah: spent years building the ark and telling people to get ready- they did not.  Jesus told the story of ten virgins: 5 were wise they kept their lamps filled with oil and 5 were considered foolish they had lamps were not ready when the Bridegroom came because their lamps were empty ( Matthew 25:1-13). Noah and the five virgins were ready- they prepared. Even in the book of Exodus God told the people to get ready to leave.

The one question (challenge) I have heard from non-Preppers: Do you let the people around you die if a disaster occurs? People died in the days of Noah not because Noah let them die but because though he inwarned them they did not listen (2 Peter 2:5). People blamed the government for the death of those individuals who died during hurricane Katrine (August 2005) yet they were instructed to evacuate. Information is available to anyone who dares to pay attention.  Non-Preppers may decide not to be ready because they will not be able to help their family and others, I will not make the decision to suffer just because someone  chose not to get ready. However, like everything else I do, I will share what I know and help people learn how to help themselves. Consider:

  • I am doing this by myself, my husband is not on board.
  • I have zero dollars saved and I am in debt.
  • I have to first stock my household kitchen before I can focus on surplus foods
  • I don’t have any idea what I am doing
  • I have to do things according to God’s word.

Finally: I believe that we are living in the end times. Unfortunately, as I see it, far to many people of color choose not to prepare. There are lots of reasons, all bad, why Black people refuse to prepare but the bottom line is they just don’t want to. I believe everyone, regardless of social standing, should be ready every time  Shit-Hits-The-Fan.

And that is the world according to NETTIE xxx Short Stories and essays and other ramblings by Marsha L F Randolph; All rights reserved do not use without the permission of the author Marsha L F Randolph