Saturday, July 9, 2016

MY OBSESSION

I would prefer to have a field of corn growing on my land than one hundred cans of corn hidden in my closet. I want to be able to make my own bread just in case food cost more than I can afford. I want neighbors I can barter with so I don’t have to depend on the government for the things I need.


I spend days thinking about, learning about living on a homestead. I watch movies about farming, ranching and, yes, the Amish.  If I had a choice between going to a Broadway play or visiting a homestead I would choose the homestead.

One of the reasons I stopped going to the county fair with friends and family is because all they care about is the food and the rides I wanted to see the animals, crafts and foods. I want to learn how to be a country girl.

What I have discovered, as I type on my lap top, is that I am to dependent on modern day conveniences. I have caught myself, actually my husband catches me, cutting on lights I don’t need. I waste water when I wash dishes by hand and then place them in the dishwasher to be washed again. As I type the television is on mute. But, during storms when the electricity is off I am not bothered by it.

I am compelled to learn how to make as much of my own stuff as possible. I am learning the different growing seasons and I have a few plants growing in containers. I want to learn how to can various foods but that will have to wait until I can purchase the right equipment. I am investing in quilting, knitting crocheting and other sewing supplies. I make soap and candles. There is so much to learn.

I have to keep reminding myself to take my time and learn each thing well before moving on. Unfortunately, I get obsessed with doing something and start making mistakes. I messed up a 5 pound batch of soap because I would not test batch. I am forcing myself to not start canning until I can find a mentor to help me with the process.

After 16 years of living in the city I am off to find the Amish farm that is about 45 minutes away from me.


And that is the world according to NETTIE xxx Short Stories and essays and other ramblings by Marsha L F Randolph; All rights reserved do not use without the permission of the author Marsha L F Randolph