Monday, September 12, 2016

MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT: DEODORANT

HOMEMADE IS ALWAYS BETTER

I have heard the dangers of aluminum found in various hygiene products for years. I have also seen how some women have darkened underarms from them. Other than stains in my shirts I did not have any problems with using any of the products, though I was not particularly fond of some of the scents. I began using homemade deodorant because my daughter did have adverse reactions to various brands and made her own; she cajoled me into trying it; I liked it.

If you are slightly interested in homemade deodorants the one need to know fact is:  It will not stop you from sweating. Sweating is good;it is how your body naturally gets rid of toxins. Using anti-perspirents may save on laundry wear but  in the long run it is bad for you. Other ingredients found in man made deodorants are just that man made and therefore its’ benefits are superficial. The naturaller you go the better!

There are several formulas a person can use with three basic ingredients: Coconut Oil, Arrowroot or Corn Starch, Baking Soda. Other ingredients such as Shea Butter and Essential Oils are optional.

Coconut Oil is the base, a fat, and is used in every formula I have seen,  It has an anti-fungal, anti-yeast and anti-bacteria properties that make it ideal for deodorant. I use it also in my hair care product, my skin moisturizer and my soap.
Arrowroot Powder, also referred to as arrowroot starch, is not always easy to find, not even my local health food store has it in stock all the time. My research has revealed that more people are choosing arrowroot powder (starch, whatever you want to call it) instead of Corn Starch. Arrowroot is definitely preferred for those who have found that baking soda is to irritating.
Corn Starch is cheaper however because of the proliferation of genetically modified organism particular corn many people are turning away from using this product even in their cooking.
Baking Soda has a high pH which makes it very alkaline this is important to your body but it is a subject that will have to be discussed later. What is important to know about Baking Soda is that it neutralizes odors.
Essential Oil are used for the scent and depending on which one you use its’ anti bacterial properties. Though a lot of formulas list it, it is optional. Most people use Teatree Oil because of its’ antibacterial properties, I use Bergamont because I have it on hand for my soap and it has similar characteristics.

There are a lot of YouTube videos on how to make deodorant. In addition you need to gather a receptacle to keep your deodorant in. Since the quantity is small it does not need to be something large. Some people recycle the container their store bought deodorant came in, I choose to use a small wide lid container. Remember to mix your ingredients well. Coconut oil melts at 76 degrees but once placed in the refrigerator will retain its solid state.

I live in tropical weather and have been using homemade deodorant for quite some time- no one has complained yet, not even my husband.

And that is the world according to NETTIE xxx Short Stories and essays and other ramblings by Marsha L F Randolph; All rights reserved do not use without the permission of the author Marsha L F Randolph
As I said there are lots of recipes and visual instructions on YouTube. Here is my recipe:

1/4 Cup COCONUT OIL
2 Tablespoons ARROWROOT POWDER
1 Tablespoon  BAKING SODA
6 drops ESSENTIAL OIL -
Blend completely and place in container.
Use sparingly (a dab will do you!) Massage gently and thoroughly into your arm pits.

And that is the world according to NETTIE xxx Short Stories and essays and other ramblings by Marsha L F Randolph; All rights reserved do not use without the permission of the author Marsha L F Randolph

Here is a YouTube channel that will demonstrate the process: