Sunday, October 9, 2016

A MATTER OF FAITH: PRAYER


One of the reasons I wrote BEFORE YOU PRAY FOR ME is because I have heard many personal conversations of people who need the intervention of Jehovah. What I hear is people who make plans based on the problem and not on the solution. For example: A person wants pray to get a bill paid but they borrow money to get food. Scripture says don’t borrow (Deuteronomy 15:6, Proverbs 22:7) and don’t worry (Matthew 6:25-34). People nullify their prayers before the request is even made based words spoken.

Some fail to understand the power of words often justifing an unanswered prayer by saying: God said no. There are two important factors in praying effectively:

  1. Knowing what God’s word says on the subject.
  2. Knowing what you really believe 


The Bible tells us we need to renew our minds (Romans 12:2) by not thinking the way the world thinks. Often the world: doctors, lawyers, therapist, experts, friends and family; will say something opposite of what Scripture says which causes a person to doubt His word.

Mark 11:24
“Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.”

Jesus would not have said “believe that you receive them,” if it was not possible to have what you were asking for. The Bible contains numerous blessings from the Lord if it is not in there it is safe to assume he does not want you to have it. Reading about God’s promises and seeing His promise in your life can be difficult particularly when you are in the middle of a storm and people are advising you


Despite the many books available that share the provisions of Jehovah people going through storms hear more words that are contrary  which leads to doubt and an inability to receive.  I wrote the ebook, BEFORE YOU PRAY FOR ME, to help new Believers, and some old Believers, understand the foundations of Christian faith which are the essential elements of prayer. Without a firm foundation of faith the conversations of this world will hinder a prayer.

Many Christians join in the various conversations regarding sickness, disease, lack and strife. People quote problems more than Jehovah’s solutions. The assumption is: God hears the prayer not anything else I have said.

Proverbs 18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
Matthew 12:37
For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.

I don’t really consider what I do as prayer, I don’t have a set time or set position to communicate with Abba Father. I rarely pray for myself though I have many needs, I believe He knows that already. I am trying to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and allow Him to direct my path all the time. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weakness. For we do not know what we should pray for as we out, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 

The Spirit of God knows the heart and mind of the individual I don’t. I have heard people end a prayer with: Lord, if it be Your will. I have heard people ask: What did the doctor say? People have told me: God is teaching me a lesson so He made me sick. I have heard so many things that do not agree with Scripture. When I hear these things it is pointless to pray for healing because their mind is not ready to receive. If I were to pray and nothing happened they would add more doubt to their doubt.

James 4:3
Yet you do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on our pleasures.

God knows what you really really believe. He knows your motivation for asking. No where in the Bible does it state that Jehovah acknowledges foolishness. He may want to give you a better job, a newer car, a bigger home because it is a foolish request. God did not say ‘no’ he didn’t have to.

Proverbs 8:6
Listen, for I will speak of excellent things, and from the opening of my lips will come right things

When you pray you must know what you really believe. The manifestation of God’s blessings in your life are part of the covenant He has with you. God is not a covenant breaker His character prohibits Him from interacting with those who do not believe. (1 Corinthians 11:23-32) What are you saying when you are not praying?

.