Monday, October 24, 2016

MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT: I AM LOOKING FOR A SIMPLE PATTERN!

One of the reasons I decided to stop sewing my own clothes was because it was cheaper to purchase clothes than to make them. Over the years the cost of fabric and patterns have increased and when the cost of the accessories was added to the price a good sale on a standard fit garment seemed better than tailored fit. What is available in the stores today are trendy and far to revealing for my taste so I am back to making my own clothing.

Every time I walk into a fabric store I want to kick myself. About ten years ago I decided that I had to much stuff and gave away containers filled with mostly new patterns. I also gave away some fabric that I did not know what to do with and allowed a friend to use my sewing machine!


Over the years I have developed a particular style that does not change with the season. Making my clothes has become a better option than purchasing them, particularly since they are not available. I choose to wear ankle length skirts and short sleeve blouses. Finding the right patterns has become an adventure.

The patterns that I am looking for are considered “Vintage” by many of the pattern companies which means they cost more than the standard patterns. They are the patterns I gave away! Of the available patterns the styles are not what I am looking for, I want more of an “A” line skirt. I purchased a shirt pattern that I thought would work for me but when I looked closely I discovered the fit would not hang properly on my curves.

I am not giving up. However, I refuse to pay more than $5 for a pattern so I will have to wait for a sale. Patterns can go on sale for as little as $2 each.

I am also looking for fabric. Yes, I know you can order it but I prefer to see and feel my fabric. Perhaps, in the future, I will order fabric from a particular place once I am confident in the quality of the fabric as well as the speed to which it is delivered, customer service would be a factor as well.  For now I will continue to purchase fabric at Hobby Lobby using my 40% off coupon and a few of the other non-chain places in my community.

For now I am making simple maxi skirts from a pattern shared on YouTube.