Sunday, February 26, 2017

A MATTER OF FAITH: ANATOMY OF A PRAYER REQUEST


On January 19, 2017 I created a Prayer Request Table, the purpose was and is to note how long it takes for my prayers to be answered.  As of this writing there are six items on my list one of which has been answered. Two of the six are not written within the table.

I believe, without the proper foundation it will be difficult to believe that God will do the impossible in your life. BEFORE YOU PRAY FOR ME is an ebook I wrote in which I discuss the fundamentals of faith. Before you decide to make a list of prayer request or even before you ask someone to pray for you, understand what you believe.

Today I want to look at two items on my list in order to share 7 CONCEPTS OF PRAYER that can help you receive from God.  Those items are a Serger (a specific type of sewing machine) and a print copy of the Expanded Bible.

It is important, as I share this and other messages, that you search the Scriptures for yourself and see what the word actually says from your Bible.

MATTHEW 7:7
 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Matthew 7:7 is a familiar Scripture yet many people believe it literally. We pick and choose what we ask God for and then we have a back-up plan for the really hard things; we pray for healing of cancer but go to the doctor and follow his instructions putting most of our confidence in the doctor.

There are two things that I am truly dependent on God for, those are the two items below the table the other things are, in my mind, minor request. I really do not need a serger. I have three sewing machines and there are other ways to do what a serger does but it is a bit more time consuming. On January 19, 2017 I placed “SERGER- BROTHER 1034D” on my list and in my prayer I asked Father God for it for my birthday.
I have every translation of the Bible I want but I do not have a print copy of the Expanded Bible translation. My copy of the Expanded Bible is an ebook. Jesus said ask and it will be given he further said:

MATTHEW 7:8
“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.” 

I am included in “everyone” and I am asking.

For some this may appear to be a frivolous prayer. Why should God give me something I really don’t need? Because I desire it and my desires come from Him. David said:

PSALM 37:4-5
Delight yourself also in the Lord,and He shall give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass.

Not all desires are from God which is why the first part of Psalm 37 states “Delight yourself also in the Lord.” And in verse 5, David says we are to commit our way to the Lord “and He shall bring it to pass.” When you ask in prayer: Who are you speaking to; God or Satan?

JOHN 15:7
If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

Here is a prayer principle you must understand: UNGODLY PRAYERS ARE NOT HEARD BY FATHER GOD AS A REQUEST TO HIM. Let me say it like this: If you are praying for something that goes against the will of God, it is not a prayer to God the Father- PERIOD.

JAMES 4:3 THE VOICE
And when you do ask, you still do not get what you want because your motives are all wrong—because you continually focus on self-indulgence.

But isn’t that serger self-indulgent? No. It is a purposeful item, as is the Bible. My having a serger will not offend or harm anyone. I am not trying to take someone else’s property nor am I asking for more than what is needed. As a blogger and a YouTuber I teach others what I learn thus what I am blessed with I use to be a blessing (Genesis 12:22, 22:17). The serger is a luxury item for sure as is the Bible but they are both purposeful; when God gives you a desire it is not cheap!

Of all the things on my prayer list it was the serger I thought about the most. I talked about it, I researched it, I watched YouTube videos on how to use it and I reminded Father God that I wanted it. Perhaps it was because I was sewing so much and each item I made  needed to be completed with the special stitches the serger does. I was planning on using the serger before I even had it.

I gave very little thought to the Expanded Bible because I could use the one on my laptop or go to Bible Gateway and look at a verse. Unless I look at my prayer request list, I forget what is on the list except for the serger. I thought: I will get the Bible but I am getting the serger.

MARK 11:24 THE EXPANDED BIBLE
So I tell you to believe that you have received ·the things [everything] you ask for in prayer, and ·God will give them to you [you will receive them].

My actions revealed what I believed. I knew I would get the other things on my list EVENTUALLY but the serger would be here on my quickly approaching birthday. I left sewing projects undone until the sewing machine was in my house!

WARNING: Don’t discount your words! Your words can destroy a prayer request faster than anything you can do. Because your words first manifest in your heart.

PSALM 5:8-9
Lead me, O Lord, in Your righteousness because of my enemies; make Your way straight before my face.
For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is destruction; their throat is an open tomb; they flatter with their tongue.
PROVERBS 18:21 THE EXPANDED
·What you say can mean [L- In the power of the tongue are] life or death. Those who ·speak with care [love it] will ·be rewarded [L- eat its fruit].

Not only can your words cancel your prayer request but the words of others that you believe can cancel them as well. For example: The Bible states that you are healed the doctor tells you -you have terminal cancer. You believe EVERYTHING the doctor says. Your faith is in the report of the doctor and not the word of God; no matter how many people pray for you it is the doctor’s words that remain true in your heart.

ROMANS 3:3-4
For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written: “That You may be justified in Your words, And may overcome when You are judged.”

It is not Father God who did not answer your prayer it is you who rejected His answer.  xxx written by Marsha L F Randolph

…to be continued next week

A MATTER OF FAITH reflects the opinions and property of the author MARSHA L F RANDOLPH. All rights reserved- do not use without permission. All Scriptures quoted are from the New King James Version of the Bible unless otherwise stated. Don’t miss weekly faith based post FOLLOW THIS BLOG and receive notifications when a new article is posted.
Please check out and subscribe to my YouTube Channel MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT at NETTIE FR 

Order this ebook which discusses the fundamentals needed in order to have success in prayer via smashwords.