Monday, February 13, 2017

MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT: COFFEE MAKERS



My coffee pot died! It was a cheap ($10) coffee maker purchased seven years ago to accommodate a house guest who did not like going out for coffee. I truly intended on purchasing a new coffee maker but this one worked, I took it for granted.

Now I had to buy a new one fast. Over the past few months I have been investigating coffee makers,in the back of my mind I knew it was a matter of time, but I delayed purchasing a new one because what I had worked. Now I am faced with an emergency: What shall I buy?

I do not need a machine that makes more than 4 cups at a time because most of the time it is just me. Do I want a machine that makes 1 cup at a time? I need to consider the cost.


I purchased a medium cup of coffee from McDonald's which $1.07, tax included. If I want a refill I will have to return to McDonald's or I would have to sit in the restaurant and drink the first cup before getting another.  I usually am writing while I drink my coffee so this will never do.

I drink coffee every day, if I were to not buy a coffee pot but get my java from McDonald’s I would spend around $390.55 a year. This is assuming I drink only one cup a day.

A Ninja Coffee maker (recommended by a friend) starts at around $110. After researching I decided it was not what I needed, I only drink plain coffee.

The single cup makers (Keurig) cost around $90 and 2 week supply of pods $5. The pods are used instead of coffee grounds and filters. After an initial investment $120 plus pods based on 2 cups per day  I would spend about $220 per month. My initial investment would be about $360 the first year and $220 every year thereafter. Not including distilled or filtered water  necessary to make the coffee.

I don’t have $100 on hand, it would have to be paid with cash.

If I were to purchase a basic coffee pot. After the initial investment of about $30 and about $10 per month  on coffee grounds and filter my expenses would be less $120 per year.  The good news is I was able to purchase a Proctor-Silex 10 Cup Coffee maker for $15.

The coffee is good. I make one big cup of coffee in the morning and the refills are ready when I want it. I don’t need to pop a pod in the machine and wait or go through some elaborate steps for a cup of java. Most important I SAVED MONEY!


The only think I want is a good cup of coffee in the morning. I got this!
xxx written by Marsha L F Randolph

NETTIEOLOGY A compilation of ideas, opinions, beliefs and activities of Nettie a pseudo-fictional character created by Marsha L F Randolph. The author, Marsha L F Randolph maintains all rights associated with copyright laws; do not use post / articles without the permission of the author Marsha L F Randolph. All quotes should cite Marsha L F Randolph as the author.
Check out Nettie’s YouTube Channel NETTIE F R MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT 
Keep current on new post - SUBSCRIBE NOW