Monday, March 20, 2017

MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT: MAKING STUFF

At some point it becomes an obsession but as obsessions go I think it is a healthy obsession. I love to make stuff! I like to think I am saving money, however, some things like sewing have an initial high up front cost.

There are some long term benefits to doing it yourself. I have clothes that I made over 10 years ago that I can still wear. By purchasing 2 $4 Tomato plants I harvested enough tomatoes for months saving more than my initial investment- which included fertilizer. Home made last a long time and can save money.

Some people get carried away and spend tons of money believing they will do “this” forever only to become discouraged and quit. Like any project it is important to start with something simple and see if you like it. Especially, sewing. Like a new relationship a person should look deep before she leaps.

I have been using homemade deodorant for more than 2 years.  I started making my own in 2016, prior to that my daughter made it for me and it was very difficult for her to get me to just try it. Some people are very sensitive to various deodorants and either spend a lot of money on special store bought brand or make their own. After trying what my daughter made and having to wait for her to make a new batch when I ran out I began making my own. It is amazing how long my batch last and how well it works!  Cost wise I would say it is cheaper than buying a stick of deodorant for one dollar at the dollar store and as for quality it works. There are no complaints about me in the South Florida heat.

Making stuff for me includes re-purposing. Why send something to the recycle depot when you can re-purpose it? Baby food jars become candle containers, and the plastic coffee containers become planters. I have also used Pringle’s chip containers for soap molds. No, I am not a tree hugging save the planet global warming liberal ideology person. I am a God loving, practical living, don’t waste money conservative thinking woman. Why would I spend dollars for a jar, planter or soap mold when I can reuse what I already have; eventually these things may go in the recycle bin but not today.

I find it interesting that I do not have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes or any other diseases associated with people who are getting older. I take no prescription drugs but most of my sisters do. I attribute my good health to living a simple life and doing things that will benefit me and my household and not stressing out about the problems of this world.

Though crafting is a personal choice it does not have to be a solo activity. I make: deodorant, laundry detergent, soap, and soy candles. I sew various things including clothes; I also knit and crochet. (I have not done it in a while but I do know how to hand embroidery.) And I plant stuff. I don’t do these projects with other people however I am part of a a few groups on Social Media and do talk about these activities with others within the group. It’s fun.

I think everybody can make something. You just have to try different things until you discover the skills within you. xxx written by Marsha L F Randolph

NETTIEOLOGY A compilation of ideas, opinions, beliefs and activities of Nettie a pseudo-fictional character created by Marsha L F Randolph. The author, Marsha L F Randolph maintains all rights associated with copyright laws; do not use post / articles without the permission of the author Marsha L F Randolph. All quotes should cite Marsha L F Randolph as the author.
Check out Nettie’s YouTube Channel NETTIE F R MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT 
Keep current on new post - SUBSCRIBE NOW