Sunday, April 23, 2017

A MATTER OF FAITH: JESUS IS LORD

When I was new in the church, not possessing the confidence needed to voice what I believed I did not challenge those who said: “God knows my heart.” The statement, though true, was a cliche’ lacking a biblical basis. Often the speaker makes this declaration when his words or behavior is questioned.

“Lord, I am willing to break MY heart that I might satisfy THY heart.” ― Watchman Nee, The Normal Christian Life

Watchman Nee was, in my opinion, a wise man full of faith (November 4, 1903-June 1, 1972). His teachings have been transcribed to books that take me months and sometimes years to read.

Consider what he said in the above statement: “I am willing to break my heart.” When you understand that your heart falls short of God’s expectations the knowledge of His mercy and grace is humbling- you are willing to ‘break’ your heart. It is not your heart that is important but God’s heart that we should seek.
ACTS 13:22
And when He had removed him, He raised up for them David as king, to whom also He gave testimony and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will.’
This word ‘heart,’ which is the Greek word ‘kardia’ indicates feeling. When a person declares “God knows my heart” he is saying: “God knows how I really feel.”  The problem is many people do not know how they really feel until something happens. Believing Jesus is Lord is step one of our faith journey allowing Him to be Lord over every part of our lives is a process and it begins with knowing your heart, how you really feel..

James chapter 2 addresses our words of faith as it relates to our behavior, the two should agree.
JAMES 2:14-20 The Expanded Bible
14) My brothers and sisters [C- fellow believers], if people ·say [claim] they have faith, but do nothing, ·their faith is worth nothing [what good/profit/gain is it?]. Can faith like that save them? 15) [L- Suppose; If] A brother or sister in Christ ·might need clothes or food [L- is naked and lacks daily food]. 16) If you say to that person, “·God be with you [or I wish you well; L- Go in peace]! ·I hope you stay warm and get plenty to eat, [T- Be warmed and filled]” but you do not ·give what that person needs [provide for the needs of their body], ·your words are worth nothing [L- what good/profit/gain is that?]. 17) In the same way, faith by itself—·that does nothing [L- if it does not have works]—is dead.
18) [L- But] Someone might say, “You have faith, but I have ·deeds [works].” ·Show me [Prove; Demonstrate] your faith without ·doing anything [L- works], and I will ·show you [prove; demonstrate] my faith by ·what I do [my works]. 19) You believe ·there is one God [or that God is one; Deut. 6:4]. ·Good [L- You do well]! But the demons believe that, too, and they ·tremble with fear [shudder].
20) You ·foolish [senseless; emptyheaded] person! ·Must you be shown [Do you want evidence; Can’t you see] that faith ·that does nothing [without works] is ·worth nothing [useless; barren]?


When you, or someone you know, declares: “God knows my heart” it is the truth but do you have the heart of God or the heart of self? what are you doing that validates you are seeking Him? Consider verse 19, the demons believe there is one God yet they are loyal to Satan.  Does your behavior demonstrate your faith in Him or your need to justify self?
PSALM 15:4 The Expanded Bible
They do not respect hateful people [L- The wicked are despised in their eyes]  but honor those who ·honor [L- fear] the Lord.  They keep their promises to their neighbors, even when it hurts.
Doing the right thing does not always feel good but when Jesus is Lord of your life you do it anyway. It is possible that you confessed with your mouth that Jesus is Lord you may have even been baptized in water but have you allowed the Lord to take ownership of your heart?

ROMANS 10:10 The Voice
Belief begins in the heart and leads to a life that’s right with God; confession departs from our lips and brings eternal salvation.
xxx written by: Marsha L F Randolph

A MATTER OF FAITH reflects the opinions and property of the author MARSHA L F RANDOLPH. All rights reserved- do not use without permission. All Scriptures quoted are from the New King James Version of the Bible unless otherwise stated. Don’t miss weekly faith based post FOLLOW THIS BLOG and receive notifications when a new article is posted.
Please check out and subscribe to my YouTube Channel MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT at NETTIE FR