Monday, April 24, 2017

MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT: PLANNING A GARDEN

MY TOMATOES
I really do like to just do stuff and then figure the logistics later, what I should have done instead. However, now that I am comfortable with container gardening and understand the climate I live in I want to grow more. I need to make plans.

People who live in north of me, which is most of the, United States, have a different growing season than I do here in Zone 10b, they also have a different type of soil. Thus the channels I subscribe to on YouTube can tell me what worked for them but can only give me a general idea of what will work for me. It took a great deal of researching to find what I could plant and when to plant it. (OK- I just Googled and YouTubed!)

Now that I know what I want to plant, and when I need to plant everything I have to learn what to do with what I grow. There seems to be quite a bit of information about how to plant a particular fruit, vegetable, or herb but not much about what to do once they have grown. I learned in 2016 that it is very important to PLAN YOUR HARVEST before the harvest.

I think people become discouraged when they do not plan every step of the way. So before you grow ask yourself a few questions:

  • What do you want to plant?
  • Can you actually plant that where you live?
  • Where can it grow? In a container, or does it have to be in the grown? Does it need shade, full sun or partial sun?
  • Where are want to put it? Does it have enough room to properly develop?
  • How do you maintain it? How water does it need? Do you have to fertilize? And if so what type and how often? What type of diseases do you have to look out for? What do those diseases look like?
  • When is the harvest?
  • What is the yield per plant? 
  • Do you know what you want to do with your harvest? Eat everything right away; give some away; preserve (can, dehydrate, freeze). If you are going to preserve: do you know how?
  • Do you have the time and patience?


For most people it is not that they cannot grow things, everyone can grow something, people just don’t want to put in the time.

MY HOUSEPLANTS 
The easiest plant I have to maintain is Lucky Bamboo. It sits in a jar of rocks and distilled water (no soil) and grows- slowly. The most difficult plant I have had was the Tomato, making sure it had water, fertilizer and pest free was almost a daily chore.

The logistics of gardening. making sure you have what you need when you need it, requires more planning than just waking up and deciding you want to grow something. My second attempt at gardening was successful because I did not try to feed my household, I wanted to know what to expect “if.”  Now I am going to take it to another level, in anticipation of a larger crop a friend is going to teach me how to can.

NETTIEOLOGY A compilation of ideas, opinions, beliefs and activities of Nettie a pseudo-fictional character created by Marsha L F Randolph. The author, Marsha L F Randolph maintains all rights associated with copyright laws; do not use post / articles without the permission of the author Marsha L F Randolph. All quotes should cite Marsha L F Randolph as the author.
Check out Nettie’s YouTube Channel NETTIE F R MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT 
Keep current on new post - SUBSCRIBE NOW