Monday, July 24, 2017

MCCP: GROWING MORINGA

CHECK OUT MY POST ON THE BENEFITS OF MORINGA
I was really excited to obtain moringa seeds after hearing such rave reviews about the plant. As easy as it is to grow their are some things that a novice, such as myself, must be aware of.

#1 There are a variety of opinions as to how to grow MORINGA. God’s way is the best way.
#2 If you give the plant too much attention it will die. I watered my moringa every time I watered my other plants and that was too much love!

The Moringa Olifera plant is much sought after in other countries and apparently in the USA as well because of it’s high nutritional content and the variety of ways it can be ingested. Though a tropical plant I noticed a few people growing the tree in cooler climates. The seeds are really really cheap; I purchased 10 seeds for $2 plus S&H (you only need one tree).

HOW I GREW MY MORINGA

  • I soaked the seed in its’ pod for 24 hours in rain water.
  • I planted the seed, still in its’ pod, in a small container and watered it, again with rain water.
  • I set the container in indirect sunlight until I saw a sprout and then placed in direct sunlight.
  • Once the plant had definite growth (about 6 inches in height) I placed it in a larger container where it now resides. (in a 3 gallon tub.)
  • I will watch the growth of the tree and transplant it in it’s final destination, probably a 20 gallon tub. I have yet to water it because though there is not enough rain form my herbs and other plants it seems to be just enough for the moringa. I have fertilized it twice about every 3 weeks. 
  • The leaves are nice and green. 
Currently it is located in an area that gets sunshine but not intense direct light. My patio has sunlight from sunrise to sunset and for many of my plants that is to much.

Now I suspect the moringa would grow faster if I placed it in the ground and let it do it’s own thing. I don’t want the plant to grow more than 6 feet tall since harvesting anything above 5 feet would be prohibitive for me.



I order Moringa Capsules from PAISLEY FARM LLC via etsy. You can also order the leaves which can be used in food or to make tea. NOTE the flange on the pods- the seeds are inside.
My plant is a little over 1 foot in height sitting in a 2 1/2 gallon container that I got from the dollar store.



HOW I KILLED SEVERAL MORINGA PLANTS BEFORE THEY EVEN STARTED TO GROW
TRIAL #1: After watching a few YouTube videos and having successfully used the same technique for my lemon plants I chose to extract the seed from it’s pod. I placed the exposed seed between moist paper towels and place this in a zip lock bag.
I think I did 2 things wrong 1) bruised the seed when I pealed the pod away from it and 2) used to much water to germinate.
TRIAL #2:  I planted one seed directly in the dirt after peeling the pod away. This did not sprout.
TRIAL #3 I planted a seed in its’ pod directly into the dirt. It sprouted and I watered it to much so it died.
TRIAL #4 I have a moringa plant! As per my success story.

I think all of these methods would work if I was more careful with the pods and easier on the water. I suspect the only difference in having the pod remain on the shell is the germination period.

My decision to simply plant the moringa in its’ pod and use rain water was because this is what my friend did. I gave her 3 seeds, she planted one. I had actually started on Trial #1 before I gave her any seeds thus I had wasted time trying to take a shortcut.

I am growing Moringa Olifera in a container and so can you. (Remember to fertilize.)  - written by Marsha L F Randolph


NETTIEOLOGY A compilation of ideas, opinions, beliefs and activities of Nettie a pseudo-fictional character created by Marsha L F Randolph. The author, Marsha L F Randolph maintains all rights associated with copyright laws; do not use post / articles without the permission of the author Marsha L F Randolph. All quotes should cite Marsha L F Randolph as the author.
Check out Nettie’s YouTube Channel NETTIE F R MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT
Keep current on new post - SUBSCRIBE NOW