Sunday, August 20, 2017

A MATTER OF FAITH: NOBILITY

Last week I shared with readers my desire to spend 30 days seeking “good news.” As I continue my journey I am learning more about the children of God. We have a lot to learn…

PHILIPPIANS 4:8-9
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.  The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.


In a previous post  I briefly discussed “whatever things are true.” Today I want to examine “whatever things are noble.”

The King James Version of the Bible the term “honest” is used instead of noble. Young’s Literal Translation uses the term “grave.” What is difference between the words: noble, honest, grave?  Not much if you are looking at an older  dictionary. ‘Semnos’ is the Greek word that has been translated (Strongs' 4586); in its’ definition both grave and honest are included.  Each of these words have the same meaning yet, like many words, its’ definition has become lost in the culture.  The New King James uses the term ‘noble’ for ‘semnos’.  It is a term we often associate with integrity which is the same as being honest or grave.

The word sincere comes to mind when I think of Noble.

What is noble today? Do you see examples of men and women whose character and words reflect honesty?  Do you consider yourself noble?

HEBREWS 13:1-8 The Voice
Let love continue among you. Don’t forget to extend your hospitality to all—even to strangers—for as you know, some have unknowingly shown kindness to heavenly messengers in this way. Remember those imprisoned for their beliefs as if you were their cellmate; and care for any who suffer harsh treatment, as you are all one body.
Hold marriage in high esteem, all of you, and keep the marriage bed pure because God will judge those who commit sexual sins.
Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have because He has said, “I will never leave you; I will always be by your side.”Because of this promise, we may boldly say,
The Lord is my help— I won’t be afraid of anything. How can anyone harm me? Listen to your leaders, who have spoken God’s word to you. Notice the fruits of their lives and mirror their faith.
Jesus the Anointed One is always the same: yesterday, today, and forever.

What is noble? What we see today in the media and what we hear coming out of the mouths of individuals who say they are Christian is not necessarily noble.

Today, as part of my 30 day quest, I searched various news outlets on the internet to find positive stories. One link advertised good news and the first six articles were negative. The story I chose to post was an associated press article in which many of the other news outlets also shared.  Good news is not always easy to find.


  • Yes, Christians can have fun. 
  • Yes, Christians need to know what is going on in the world.


JOHN 17:11-16
Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me,that they may be one as We are. While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.  I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.

As residents of this world we are to remember that our homes is in eternity with God our Father. While here we are ambassadors representing the Kingdom of God.

2 CORINTHIANS 5:20
Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.

Our words should not mimic the words of those individuals in the world. Studying the Scripture, knowing the good news of salvation through faith and trust in Jesus gives us plenty to talk about. For the next week listen to yourself talk and take the 7-Day Challenge.

Here is a SEVEN DAY CHALLENGE: READ & LISTEN

  1. Read: PHILIPPIANS 4:8-9
  2. Listen: To WHAT YOU SAY. 
    • To yourself
    • To your children and spouse
    • To your family
    • To your friends
    • To your co-workers


PROVERBS 8:6 (King James Version)
Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things. 


— written by Marsha L F Randolph

A MATTER OF FAITH reflects the opinions and property of the author MARSHA L F RANDOLPH. All rights reserved- do not use without permission. All Scriptures quoted are from the New King James Version of the Bible unless otherwise stated. Don’t miss weekly faith based post FOLLOW THIS BLOG and receive notifications when a new article is posted.
Please check out and subscribe to my YouTube Channel MY COUNTRY CITY PROJECT at NETTIE FR